Glen mcleod principal (B.Juris, LLB)
IN THE OFFICE Glen is recognised as one of Western Australia’s preeminent environmental and planning lawyers. Glen established Glen McLeod Legal in 2012 specialising in environmental and planning law following extensive local and international experience, particularly in the setting up of major and complex infrastructure projects and the enhancement or protection of significant long-term industrial operations and real estate assets.
Glen’s skills include project management, litigation and the strategic management of approval processes, and he has additional expertise in the climate change and renewable energy sectors, ports, international trade, probity and procurement.
Glen is also known for his work in compulsory acquisitions and valuation law. He is keenly interested in the relationship between property rights and environmental law.
2016 Glen was WA Law Society’s Lawyer of the Year.
2017 Who’s Who Legal – named amongst the world’s leading environmental and climate change lawyers;
2018 Doyle’s guide to the legal profession – recommended as preeminent planning and environment lawyer in Western Australia
OUTSIDE THE OFFICE Glen is known for his interest in passing on and extending his knowledge through lecturing and research. As an Adjunct Professor at Murdoch University, Glen conducts undergraduate courses in Environmental Sustainability and Climate Change Law and in Town Planning Law. He has also lectured in Australia and internationally to professional, industry, academic and commercial audiences.
Among his many prominent professional affiliations, Glen is the immediate past Chair of the International Bar Association’s Environmental Health and Safety Committee. The IBA is the global voice of the legal profession.
He is a member of the Law Society of Western Australia’s Environment, Town Planning and Local Government Committee.
He is the general editor of Planning Law in Australia, this country’s leading planning law encyclopaedia and co-editor of the Australia-wide Local Government Law Journal.
He is a Board Member of the Environmental Protection Authority and the Waste Authority of WA.
RECENT OUTCOMES FOR CLIENTS
Glen has recently helped clients achieve the following outcomes:
- compulsory acquisition of lots previously zoned rural, now zoned parks and recreation;
- successfully represented client in alleged illegal clearing of bushland;
- challenging changes to local body development contribution scheme on behalf of developer client where they are found to be unenforceable;
- Successfully challenged a directive from the Department of Environmental Regulation to lock up an area of productive farmland as permanent bush;
- negotiated with government on behalf of Kwinana Industries Council to protect the buffer zone around the industrial complex;
- regained an operational license following an asbestos contamination incident;
- negotiated land clearing with local council;
- recovering the reasonable costs of providing a road from an adjacent subdivider under the Planning and Development Act 2005 (WA);
- contesting and deleting an invalid condition of development approval by applying to the State Administrative Tribunal for review under the Planning and Development Act 2005 (WA);
- avoiding criminal prosecution under the Environmental Protection Act 1986 (WA) through careful communication and information management during the investigation period;
- defending charges of unauthorised clearing of native vegetation under the Environmental Protection Act 1986 (WA) and taking of rare flora under the Wildlife Conservation Act 1950 (WA);
- challenging and revoking a Vegetation Conservation Notice issued under the Environmental Protection Act 1986 (WA);
- removing an onerous financial penalty and reducing the replanting requirements of a Remediation Determination issued under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (Cth);
- preventing the liable party in a Contaminated Sites Act 2003 (WA) matter from entering and drilling bore holes on private property without a land access agreement in place;
- obtaining fair and just compensation payments as a result of the compulsory taking of private property interests by public agencies such as Main Roads, Landcorp, the Water Corporation and local government authorities;
- obtaining fair and just compensation payments as a result of the compulsory taking of private property interests by public agencies such as Main Roads, Landcorp, the Water Corporation and local government authorities.
- Bachelor of Jurisprudence, University of Western Australia, 1975
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Western Australia, 1976
- Western Australia, 1977
- England & Wales, 1988
- Immediate Past Chair of the Environmental Health and Safety Committee of the International Bar Association
- Adjunct Professor, Murdoch University Law School
- Past National President, National Environmental Law Association
- Past Chairman, Legal Issues Working Group of the International Solid Waste Association
- Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts, Commerce and Manufacturers
- Member of the Law Society of Western Australia, and member of Society’s Government, Town Planning and Local Government Committee
- Member of the Law Society of England and Wales
- Past Council Member, United Kingdom Environmental Law Association
- Past Council Member, Institute for Waste Management (UK)
- Member, Australian Institute of Administrative Law
Independent awards and recognition
- 2017 Who’s Who Legal – named amongst the world’s leading environmental and climate change lawyers;
- 2017 Doyle’s guide to the legal profession – recommended as preeminent planning and environment lawyer in Western Australia;
- 2016 WA Law Society Lawyer of the Year;
- 2012 Doyle’s guide to the legal profession – recommended as a leading environment and planning lawyer in Western Australia;
- 2010 Doyle’s guide to the legal profession – ranked as preeminent environment and planning lawyer in WA;
- 2009 ALB Guide: Environment Law – mentioned as a leading environment lawyer in WA;
- 2006 Who’s Who Legal – named amongst the world’s leading environmental lawyers.