Caroline Foster associate (LLB, Ma, Ba)
IN THE OFFICE Caroline has experience in planning and environmental matters and has worked with clients representing their interests in negotiations, mediations, arbitrations and appeals in the State Administrative Tribunal, Magistrates Court and Supreme Court of Western Australia.
Caroline has represented the interests of clients in the areas of land compensation, planning and environmental appeals, clearing prosecutions and remediation of contaminated sites.
Caroline has worked with individual landowners, developers and corporate clients, providing professional and practical advice regarding planning and environmental matters. Caroline works collaboratively with town planners, environmental experts, engineers, landscape architects and land valuation experts on a wide range of planning and environmental matters.
OUTSIDE THE OFFICE Caroline has a love of arts and cultural events, in particular theatre, classical music and the visual arts. She loves the ocean and Swan River. She has completed the Rottnest Channel swim twice and hopes to get her single rowing scull back on the water in the near future.
RECENT OUTCOMES FOR CLIENTS
Caroline has recently helped clients achieve the following outcomes:
- obtaining planning approval for remediation of a contaminated site as a ‘use not listed’ under the local government planning scheme;
- successfully appealing and revoking a Vegetation Conservation Notice with the Office of the Appeals Convenor under the Environmental Protection Act 1986 (WA);
- obtaining a reduced penalty and spent conviction in the Magistrates court for non-compliance with a condition of a planning approval;
- obtaining approval of an environmental management plan as a condition of a planning approval;
- providing advice regarding laneway ownership dispute involving adverse possession and easement rights;
- providing advice regarding the application of State Coastal Planning Policy No. 2.6 State Coastal Planning Policy and Guidelines;
- providing advice regarding the application of State Planning Policy 2.8 Bushland Policy for Perth Metropolitan Region;
- providing advice regarding the implications of the Western Australian Planning Commission v Southregal Pty Ltd & Anor; Western Australian Planning Commission v Leith  HCA 7, regarding who can claim compensation for land reserved for a public purpose;
- managing a team of expert witnesses to obtain just compensation for the reservation of clients land under the Planning and Development Act 2005 (WA) and the taking of land under the Land Administration Act 1997 (WA).
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Western Australia, 2013
- Masters of Arts Management, City University London, 2002
- Bachelor of Arts (Arts Management) Academy of Performing Arts, Edith Cowan University, 1993
- Western Australia, 2014
- Women Lawyers Association, WA
- Member of the Law Society of Western Australia