We are delighted to announce that Glen McLeod is one of two senior recipients of the WA Law Society's 2016 Lawyer of the Year Award.
This prestigious award recognises practitioners who have made particularly noteworthy contributions to the Western Australian legal profession, over and above what might be reasonably expected through paid legal employment.
The award acknowledged Glen's notable contributions in holding numerous memberships to boards of statutory authorities, international committees and associations and his adjunct professorship at Murdoch University, where he established and lectures in Planning and Environment Law courses.
Glen has embraced the ‘disruption’ and reform in legal practice and law firm management, by re-examining the theoretical basis for productivity and charging models.
He applies this approach to seeking a fair go and just outcomes for the clients of his planning and environmental law firm Glen McLeod Legal.
A unique feature of the firm is the value-based pricing model it uses, which in essence, involves a fairer sharing of risk between clients and the firm and encourages greater efficiency within the firm.
The award also recognised Glen for his humble leadership style through which he consciously encourages a 'team of leaders' approach to law firm practice, meetings and professional associations
You can find out more about the most notable contributions Glen has made by following the links below:
- Member of the Environmental Protection Authority of Western Australia (9-member independent statutory body).
- Member of the Waste Authority of Western Australia (5-member statutory body), playing a leading role the Waste Authority's current process to develop a strategic waste infrastructure plan for the Perth Metropolitan and Peel regions.
- Past Chair, Legal and Governance Committee, International Solid Waste Association.
- Chair of the International Bar Association’s Environmental, Health and Safety Committee (since 2015), organising and chairing international conference sessions, and supporting the publication of a leading report, Achieving Justice and Human Rights in an Era of Climate Disruption (IBA 2014).
- Member of the WA Law Society’s Environment, Town Planning and Local Government Committee since its inception.
- Adjunct Professor and on the School of Law Dean's External Advisory Group at Murdoch University since 2007, where he established and teaches regular units in ‘The Law of Planning’ and ‘Environment, Sustainability and Climate Law’.
- Past National President and WA President of the National Environmental Law Association.
- Past Member of the Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority, making a significant contribution to the ongoing management of the State's botanic gardens and parks, including the iconic Kings Park.
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, being the Western Australian ambassador for the long-standing, UK-based society.
- General Editor of the Thomson Reuter service Planning Law in Australia and General Editor of their Local Government Law Journal (both for 15+ years).